After Baby Boy Chokes To Death On Popular Toy, Mom Urges Parents To Not Make The Same Mistake


Remember those bouncy rubber balls we all played with when we were kids? You know, the ones you could chuck at the wall and send ricocheting around the kitchen, much to Mom’s chagrin? It seems like we all played with some version of these when we were small, back in the day when endless entertainment was found in toys instead of on screens.

That said, these things are perfectly sized to be total hazards to little kids since children have an unending desire to put everything that’s not nailed down in their mouths. Think about it.  They’re typically all about an inch in diameter and perfectly sized to get caught in the windpipe. It’s a cruel, heartbreaking lesson two parents learned when they tragically lost their three-year-old son to that exact situation.

Anna Davis was hanging out with her little one, Alby, as they prepared for his big birthday celebration. For a little fun, they decided to include rubber bouncy balls in the kids’ gift bags, so Alby decided to dig in and have a little fun for himself while Mom tirelessly prepped for the big day.

As the media storm surrounding our family swirled yesterday, I beg you – this beautiful, loving community – to disregard the many ignorant, hurtful and incorrect assumptions that have been formed regarding the more specific details of Alby’s passing. The heart ache we are already experiencing is indescribable, and to know there are ill-informed stories and subsequent false accusations circulating, initiated by some incredibly heartless people at this time, only exacerbates our pain. To very briefly clarify some of the most widely spread misconceptions – yes, I of course tried to save our beautiful boy (including, but not only, undertaking CPR for 16 excruciating minutes until paramedics arrived), I was three feet away from Alby when the incident occurred and was by his side within seconds, the ball was larger than the 50c piece/film canister size-recommendation for toys given to young children, and the ball packaging states ‘not for children under three years’ – being only a few days away from turning 4, Alby was almost one year older than this advice (swipe across) We thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts, for the love and sympathy you have so graciously expressed. Knowing fellow mamas and papas are encircling our family, sharing in our grief, and clutching their babies a little tighter, brings us great comfort. Our golden boy will live on in us all 🕊

A post shared by THE SMALL FOLK (@the.small.folk) on

A mere three feet away from her child, Anna heard him begin choking and rushed to his aid. She immediately started administering CPR to remove the bouncy ball lodged in his throat. Try as she might, however, it would not budge. Alby died in her arms.

The ambulance just could not get there fast enough. In the 16 minutes it took for them to arrive to the scene, little Alby had already passed. It goes without saying that Anna and Alby’s father were truly devastated by that one wrong move that changed their lives forever.

On Alby’s birthday, the pair decided to celebrate their beloved boy’s life in a beautiful way. Mom shared this post on Instagram to honor her child. Read it in her own words below.

Darling Alby, Today, despite the fact you are no longer with us, we celebrate and honour your fourth sunshine journey. Your daddy and I visited you this morning, holding your hands and stroking your hair, for what I wish could have been an eternity. We placed your much-longed for gift – a waterproof watch with a light – around your tiny little wrist, and tried not to shower you with too many tears as we painted your fingernails with your favourite gold glitter polish. Time spent with you is never enough and leaving without you by our side, summons the most unbearable pain we’ve ever had to endure. Our arms are yearning for the thousands of cuddles yet to be given, our ears are longing for your laughter to once again resound through the walls of our home, and our hearts are shattered for the millions of memories we’ll never have the chance to create. We, along with the world, are weeping, but we take solace in the fact that all you ever knew, in your almost-four-years, was nothing but love. We are eternally grateful for the abundant light you bought to our lives and now know that your purpose was so much higher than any of us ever anticipated. Happy birthday sweetheart. We miss you endlessly ♥️

A post shared by THE SMALL FOLK (@the.small.folk) on

Darling Alby,

Today, despite the fact you are no longer with us, we celebrate and honour your fourth sunshine journey.

Your daddy and I visited you this morning, holding your hands and stroking your hair, for what I wish could have been an eternity. We placed your much-longed for gift – a waterproof watch with a light – around your tiny little wrist, and tried not to shower you with too many tears as we painted your fingernails with your favourite gold glitter polish. Time spent with you is never enough and leaving without you by our side, summons the most unbearable pain we’ve ever had to endure.

Our arms are yearning for the thousands of cuddles yet to be given, our ears are longing for your laughter to once again resound through the walls of our home, and our hearts are shattered for the millions of memories we’ll never have the chance to create.

We, along with the world, are weeping, but we take solace in the fact that all you ever knew, in your almost-four-years, was nothing but love. We are eternally grateful for the abundant light you brought to our lives and now know that your purpose was so much higher than any of us ever anticipated.

Happy birthday sweetheart. We miss you endlessly.

By this point in time, their followers had already known about Alby’s untimely passing. Mom had posted about it on Instagram before, stating, “Yesterday afternoon, our beautiful, beautiful Alby, our darling baby boy, grew wings and flew from this earth. Minutes pass like hours and the gaping hole in our lives and hearts is completely incomprehensible. We adore you beyond belief, our sweet little fox. Forever three, forever free.”

People only cruelly attacked the grieving mother online, but the fact of that matter is that mistakes happen and sometimes those mistakes are more costly than others. What happened to them is truly devastating and no parent should ever have to endure the loss of a child. We send Alby’s mom and dad all of our love as they grieve the loss of their sweet boy.



log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in