If you have a dog at home, it’s important you go through your pantry immediately. That’s because several lines of popular dog food brands have been found to contain traces of euthanasia drugs. Unfortunately, a number of dogs have already died.
Nikki Mael was traumatized after feeding her five dogs a can of Evanger’s pet food. Every one of them got sick within 15 minutes. One of the dogs, Talula, didn’t make it.
“Nobody should have to go through what we went through,” she told CBS 12. “Nobody. Not fair. I mean, I would give anything to see Talula again. They were falling over. They were running into the walls. They were convulsing.”
After sending the rest of the food to a lab to be analyzed, she learned what exactly had caused her dog’s death.
“Poisoning from the dog food. That’s what killed her,” Mael said. Pentobarbital, a drug commonly used to euthanize dogs, cats, and horses, had been found in the dog food. Having any pentobarbital in pet food at all is a violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
Tests run by CBS 12 confirmed that there was pentobarbital in both Evanger’s and Gravy Train, which is produced by Big Heart Pet Foods and owned by J.M. Smucker’s. The company also makes Meow Mix, Milk-Bone, Kibbles’nBits, 9 Lives, Natural Balance, Pup-Peroni, Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Canine Carry Outs, Milo’s Kitchen, Alley Cat, Jerky Treats, Meaty Bone, Pounce, and Snausages.
“Pets that eat pet food containing pentobarbital can experience drowsiness, dizziness, excitement, loss of balance, nausea, nystagmus (eyes moving back and forth in a jerky manner) and inability to stand. Consuming high levels of pentobarbital can cause coma and death,” read a February 16 statement from the FDA.
J.M. Smucker Company has since recalled shipments of Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, Ol’ Roy and Skippy canned dog.
“The Company has identified the root cause to be a single supplier and a single, minor ingredient, used at one manufacturing facility,” the company said in a statement. “Above all, we are a company that loves pets and understand the responsibility we have in providing high-quality food for the pets our consumers love.”
Click here for more information about the recall.