Firefighters Warn Parents Of A Summertime Danger You May Not Have Even Considered


Summertime is a fantastic time of the year. We get the opportunity to head outdoors and enjoy some fun in the sun. This is especially true if you have young children, and there are so many enjoyable things to do in the great outdoors. Unfortunately, there are also some dangers associated with summer and this is one that most parents never even consider.

Imagine the scenario; the weather is nice and warm outside so you decide to break out the water hose and enjoy cooling the kids off. More than likely, you can remember playing with a hose when you were a child and how much fun it is to get sprayed in the summertime. Before you pick up the hose and start spraying, however, you should keep this warning in mind.

The warning comes from the Las Vegas fire department. They wanted to bring this important situation to the attention of the public. They saw the devastating effect that could occur if it wasn’t heeded and they didn’t want any other children to suffer in the same way.

Quite simply, if the hose has been sitting out in the hot sun, the water on the inside of the hose can reach extremely high temperatures!

The following tweet is from the Las Vegas Fire Department:

“Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns, especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals.”


Recommended Video

Don't tread on his bed!


A nine-month-old boy from Arizona was scalded by water from a garden hose in 2016. The mother was filling up a kiddie pool and the child was accidentally sprayed with the water. She didn’t know that it could cause such bad burns.

According to the director of the Arizona Burn Center in Phoenix, Dr. Kevin Foster, “It doesn’t reach boiling, but it does get almost there. It’s about as hot as coffee coming out of the pot. A burn happens almost instantaneously at that temperature.”

The lad in the photo had 2nd° burns over approximately one-third of his body. He was able to recover but firefighters want to make sure that other children do not experience the same difficulty.

It is also important to understand that you don’t need to live in an extremely hot area of the world, such as Las Vegas. Even cooler areas can have this problem so it is important to let the water seep out or to run the water for a minute before you allow any of the spray to touch the skin. As an adult, you can carefully test the temperature of the water before the fun begins.

An even better idea is to keep the hose inside of the home until you need to use it in the summer.

It isn’t only water from a garden hose that can cause burns, the road, sidewalks and even car doors can get extremely hot. Make sure that you protect your child and for that matter, be cautious of your pet as well. If a burn does occur, use cool water to soothe the pain and then ascertain the severity of the burn. Get medical attention immediately if any signs of a burn exist.



log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in