Parents Learn Their Newborn Was Poisoned Five Days After Bringing Her Home From Hospital


Not even a week after Bethany Taylor and her husband, Kendall, welcomed their bundle of joy into the world, they noticed something wasn’t right. In January, Bethany says their newborn daughter, Jane, became very lethargic to the point that she wouldn’t eat. She knew this wasn’t normal and grew even more concerned when she and Kendall began experiencing headaches and feeling nauseous themselves.

Facebook / KSL 5 TV

After looking up their symptoms on the internet, the Provo, Utah couple took their baby girl to a hospital, where doctors determined they’d been suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. “I couldn’t believe this was happening to my new, brand new little baby and I was so worried about what was going to happen with her,” Bethany said. As it turns out, the old gas heater in the family’s apartment had been the cause.

At the hospital, Jane was placed into a hyperbaric oxygen chamber with her mom for a few two-hour sessions, after which doctors saw an immediate improvement. “She was just like a baby again. She cried, she responded to her mom,” said Dr. James Stewart. “She was very hungry when she came out of the chamber.”

Facebook / Mark Stevens KSL

Bethany and Kendall are grateful their baby is doing well now, but all three could have died had they not figured out what was going on. Now Bethany is sharing their story with lawmakers in the hopes of preventing other cases of carbon monoxide poisoning. Learn more about what happened and how this family thinks Utah laws should change in the video below.

KSL Investigates: Mother seeks changes to law after baby treated for CO poisoning

A 5-day-old baby is lucky to be alive after CO poisoning. And her story may help change a Utah law the KSL Investigators first reported on last month. Debbie Dujanovic has this follow-up report.

Posted by KSL 5 TV on Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I definitely agree that landlords should be required by law to put carbon monoxide detectors in all older apartment buildings. There’s no question that it would save lives, so here’s hoping Utah lawmakers take this story to heart and commit to repealing this law.



log in

Become a part of our community!

reset password

Back to
log in